November 08, 2008

@ Kachemak Selo, 11/8


One of Homer's nicknames, "The End of the Road," would more aptly apply to the Old Believer community of Kachemak Selo. Situated at the head of Kachemak Bay, about 25 miles from Homer on East End Road, the little village is one of the most picturesque places in Alaska. It would probably get a lot more visitors if it wasn't for the final stretch of road leading in: an extremely steep, winding switchback that tests the bravest of drivers. 

But the Old Believers there, who originally split from those in Nikolaevsk, seem to prefer it that way. There is still a "Private Property" sign posted on the road leading into the village, although we have been there several times and have never felt unwelcome. 

Kachemak Selo has become one of our favorite places in the Homer area. We stayed on the beach just to the east of the village this time (there are vast cattle pastures in the area) and didn't get any photos of the village.

NOTE: The first five of these photos got cropped funny when I uploaded them. I'm still working out some bugs with blogspot getting photos, text and links to format the way I want them to. Bear with me. I'll figure something out.

Kachemak pigeon

The area just past Kechemak Selo is a wetlands.

Alice + wide open spaces = happiness.

My hot wife, Nova.

Think the Subaru corporation might be interested in this photo?

Barbed wire fencing marks the boundary of cattle pastures.

We look cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is what happened to you. I used to really enjoy your radio show. I had to go away for a while and when I came back, you weren't there! I will be checking out your blog now. Great pictures.

Aaron Selbig said...

Thanks ... this blog will be mostly Homer-related stuff, but I'll stick my nose in state politics when I have something to say.

Kevin said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,紋身,刺青,創業,批發,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,seo,關鍵字行銷,關鍵字自然排序,網路行銷,關鍵字自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,關鍵字廣告,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,網路爆紅,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,中古車,二手車,中古車,二手車,高雄婚紗,減肥,瘦身 ,搬家,搬家公司,服飾批發,團體服